School aide Josephine Lobrutto retires after 23 years at THHS

Photo Courtesy of Mr. Sweeney

School aide Josephine Lobrutto is retiring from Townsend Harris High School this June.

As a school aide, Ms. Lobrutto has spent her time working in the cafeteria, the STEM office in room 639, and more.

Sharing her favorite memories at THHS, she said, “The thing I will miss most about Townsend is my kids and the staff members. My favorite is when the kids do things like go on a trip, and I get to interact and work with them,” she said.

Upon hearing about Ms. Lobrutto’s retirement, several teachers warmly reflected on their experiences with her.

Science teacher Katherine Cooper, Ms. Lobrutto’s colleague of about 20 years, said, “Ms. Lobrutto gives warmth and kindness, whether she’s up in the office or working at a school event or down in the cafeteria. I will miss her scarves, her Italian accent, and her Italian ringtone. It’ll be really weird not having her around and hearing her energetic ‘good morning!’ at the start of the day.” 

Assistant Principal of Math, Science, and Technology Susan Brustein said, “I love her infinite patience and unabiding kindness to everybody. She has made so much of what we do in STEM possible. I know that our department will miss her very dearly.”

Alongside staff, the students recall Ms. Lobrutto’s loving presence in school. Junior Enzo Schulze connected with her while working on a Science Olympiad device for an invitational. They bonded over their similar descent from Italy. “Signora Lobrutto is always around and willing to lend a hand, whether in the 615 lab working on our vehicle for Scrambler or fine tuning the Trajectory device in the hallway,” he said. “Getting the chance to speak in Italian [with her] is a mark of the extremely diverse community of Townsend and one of exceptional value. Signora Lobrutto plays an essential role in the STEM department and one that will create a void in her absence.”

Similarly, many students remember Ms. Lobrutto’s personality after having spent countless days in the cafeteria and hallways. Sophomore Aima Hossen said, “I think Ms. Lobrutto is a big comfort in THHS…whenever she’s around I feel like her presence is small but encouraging throughout the day.”

After retirement, Ms. Lobrutto plans on traveling to Italy, Spain, and Portugal, and taking care of her grandson. “I will always miss my kids [at THHS], I cry at their graduation like they’re my own kids. I learned a lot from them, like being patient, compassionate, and nurturing,” she said.