Modern tech club hosts annual Tetris tournament

The ModIT club at Townsend Harris brings together many students to play Tetris at their annual tournament at the end of the school year.

This past May, leaders of the modern tech club, ModIT, hosted their annual Tetris tournament. The competition served to raise both awareness and funds for the club.

Sophomore Anton Rud, president of ModIT, said he hoped the competition would “expose new students to ModIT who could potentially join in the fall.” He said he also hoped the event would raise money for future ModIT projects, while also being an inclusive event that was open to the whole school. 

Junior Christelle Diab, vice president of ModIT, said, “At events like these, specifically the ModIT Tetris tournament, we always see a lot of new faces. Club members bring their friends and watch each other play against one another… The winning prize is a huge motivator and attracts others to at least attempt and see if they can make it to the finals.”

Senior Axyl Frederick participated in the tournament and said he “really liked it, and actually even requested a rematch when I lost.” 

The tournament even attracted some members of the student body who aren’t part of the club. Junior Zahreef Khan watched the tournament. He said he “enjoyed the experience” because of “the anticipation and competitive nature of the game.”  

Junior Danny Ng, winner of this year’s Tetris tournament, said “the tournament was just a fun experience overall.”

He added, “I am really thankful for ModIT for continuing to host the Tetris tournament…and I’ll definitely participate next year as well.”

In the past year, ModIT also hosted an investing competition and a web design competition.

Tetris was invented by the Soviet computer scientist Alexey Pajitnov in 1985. The objective of the game is to stack tetrominoes (a geometric shape consisting of four squares) to then clear out rows and score points. If the blocks stack towards the top and no rows clear out then the game ends. In order to win, you must gain the most points. It became a popular video game because of its simplicity and catchy background music. The game is also often regarded as an introduction for computer science programmers to create web designs of their own using coding languages.