Planet Fitness offers teens free access all summer

This summer, Planet Fitness, a widely-recognized gym chain, has invited high school students to come and work out for free through their High School Summer Pass program. Students aged 14-19 years old are eligible for this program and can sign up with a guardian’s permission throughout the summer.

“We’re excited to officially open our doors to high school students today and provide a safe and Judgement Free space for teens to focus on their mental and physical health this summer as part of our High School Summer Pass program,” said Chris Rondeau, Chief Executive Officer at Planet Fitness, in a press release. Mr. Rondeau also discussed his own experience with exercise and how it relates to the program. “Having joined the gym for the first time when I was 16, I know firsthand the benefits exercise has had on my life, so we look forward to helping teens create lifelong habits,” he said. 

The Classic spoke to students about the offer and their plans to keep fit this summer.

Sophomore Harnoor Pamar is making use of the offer this summer. “I often work out at Planet Fitness, and I think it is a very beneficial program,” she said.

Freshman Josiah Wat said that he hasn’t been to Planet Fitness before, but the offer is appealing. “I haven’t heard about this until now. But now that I have, I might try it out,” he said.

Some students prefer to work out other ways.

“I’ve heard of it, and there is one near my house, but I’ve never been there,” said freshman Raisa Kamal. “I’d rather work out at home.” 

In its press release, Planet Fitness cited the physical requirements set by the World Health Organization in, which recommends that teens should perform no less than 60 minutes per day of physical activity. The company also cites data from the CDC that showed “​​37 percent of high school students reported that their mental health was poor at least most of the pandemic, with teens continuing to face struggles into the present.” The fitness center hopes to improve the overall wellness of students by encouraging them to be more physically active.

Registration for Planet Fitness’ High School Summer Pass program is available to students until August 31st, 2023. The fitness center hopes to reopen the program next summer.