What to watch this summer

Artwork </a><figcaption id=Artwork by Claudia Chang

Summertime is just around the corner so you know what that means: staying inside and binge-watching all the shows that you’ve been dying to watch! Summertime also means new shows. Here’s a list of shows to look out for:

Penny Dreadful (May 11th, Showtime)

Have you ever wondered what would happen if Dracula, Dorian Gray and Frankenstein’s monster met? Well Penny Dreadful finally has an answer to that burning question. Timeless literary monsters have their stories woven together in this show set in the 1800s. It has a great cast with Josh Hartnett, Eva Green, Harry Treadaway, Billie Piper and many more guest stars.

Halt and Catch Fire (June 1st, AMC)

Halt and Catch Fire is known in the computer world as a command to stop all functions. Ironically, the show is about the beginning of the personal computer revolution. Halt and Catch Fire follows a tech prodigy (played by Lee Pace) who decides to make a new PC to compete with IBM, breaking a few rules along the way. This spurs the beginning of a battle between his grassroots team of hackers and IBM.

The Leftovers (June 15th, HBO)

Damon Lindelof strikes again! There are a number of shows with people coming back to life but this show is about what happens when people are taken away. The show starts three years after the rapture, when millions of people vanished into thin air, and we look into the lives of the people who are left.

Specifically, we look at a small New Jersey suburb where families are trying to survive and recover. Some things we expect to see are cults, mayors, rebellious teenagers and a whole lot of confusion.

The Musketeers (June 22nd, BBC America)

BBC America has already ordered the second season of this show before premiering the first one. If that doesn’t scream good, I don’t know what does. This show is a period adaption of—you guessed it—the Musketeers. It’s set in Paris during the 17th century and follows D’Artagnan, Athos, Aramis and Porthos, musketeers fighting to protect their king and country.

It has comedy, swordplay, and men with ridiculous beards. What else could you ask for? Peter Capaldi is also in the first series as the Cardinal so if Doctor Who fans want to get a sneak peek of his acting abilities, here’s your chance.

Welcome to Sweden (July 10th, NBC)

What crazy person would drop their entire life and chase the love of their life all the way across the ocean? Greg Poehler creates a semi-autobiographical show about a man who does exactly that, moving to Sweden for love.

Bruce Evans, an accountant for celebrities, meets Emma Wilk and they fall for each other. He moves to Sweden for her but obstacles arise. He doesn’t know the language and some of the customs, like being nude in the sauna, freak him out. The show has amazing guest stars like Will Ferrell, Amy Poehler and Aubrey Plaza to name a few.

The Strain (Premiere date to be determined, FX)

Based on the trilogy of vampire novels of the same name by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan, The Strain will be keeping del Toro and Hogan on board as well as writer Carlton Cuse. The show will center around a team of scientists at the Center for Disease Control tracing a viral outbreak to a mysterious race of vampires.

The team, based in New York City, must fight alongside average New Yorkers to save the world from evil. This blend of horror and fantasy is sure to be an interesting departure from the “softer” vampires seen lately on shows like The Vampire Diaries.