Baseball: Hawks look ahead to new season after exhibition loss

Though it felt more like winter than spring, the Boys Varsity Baseball team was able to get their first action of the 2013 season in an exhibition game against Franklin K. Lane. Though they lost 5-1 to Lane, the Hawks used the exhibition game as a way to reflect on the coming season.

The Hawks scored their only run on a bases-loaded walk in the first inning.  Despite other opportunities with runners in scoring position, they were not able to push another run across the plate. The pitching staff got their first work of the season and were able to extricate themselves from a few jams with multiple runners on base, limiting the damage.

The team is taking the opportunity to see what they still need to improve on as the season edges ever closer.

Senior T.J. Ritter said that “we have a bunch of young players with a lot of potential but there are still many things to be worked on.”

Junior Johnny O’Neill remained positive: “I think the team looked good. The pitchers were strong and we took some good swings at the plate.”

Spring training also serves as an opportunity for new players to get used to playing with the team and make a lasting impression.

The Hawks are welcoming seven new faces: Evan Noblesala, Mason Rivero, Benjamin Chang, John Mullane, Andrew Palma, Nick Laikhram and Michael O’Neill.

Freshman Mason Rivero said that “it was really nice to get out and play some baseball,” in what was, for these new players, their first high school game.

Opening day is April 4, the day after students return from the spring break.