Fans respond to recent death of Disney star Cameron Boyce

Famed actor Cameron Boyce, who starred in multiple movies and TV shows such as Jessie and the Descendants movies, tragically passed away at the age of 20 in his Los Angeles, California residence on July 6. The family of Boyce disclosed the cause of death is an epileptic seizure. Members of the Townsend Harris community, particularly Freshmen who watched Boyce in their elementary and middle school years, are responding to the tragedy and its impact.

“I heard about his death at like 3:00AM… When I found out I wasn’t sure if it was real or not,” said Freshman Maria Mattei. “I felt like a whole part of my childhood died.” 

“I felt like I lost a friend,” added a Freshman Sameeha Khan. Evidently, the death has left THHS students in disbelief and shock.

Assistant Principal Veronica York, who has watched the Descendants series with her seven year old daughter was “heartbroken” to learn of Boyce’s death, saying she and her family has “watched him grow as an artist for the past three years.” She has not told her daughter of his passing.

Victor Boyce, father of Cameron Boyce, expressed his emotions on Twitter, saying, “I’m overwhelmed with the love and support our family has received. It really does help to ease the pain of this nightmare I can’t wake up from.” 

Skai Jackson, who starred in the show, Jessie, with Boyce, shared her thoughts on Instagram, “Cam, you were one of a kind. My heart will be forever broken. I am so happy that I got to spend almost every day with you on set, you gave the best hugs. I wish I would have hugged you tighter when I saw you a couple of months ago. Thank you so much for being the big brother I never had.”

Another concern among the THHS community is what Disney will do about future releases Boyce has starred in. Regarding the release of the upcoming Descendants 3 movie, Sameeha said, “I think it’s kinda going to be a tribute to him to honor all the good he’s done for kids and adults and all the people that watch him.”

According to Digital Spy, the Descendants 3 premiere has been postponed from July 22 to August 2.  Entertainment Weekly has also confirmed that Disney will make a donation the Thirst Project, a charity Boyce heavily supported. 

Image courtesy of Michal Jarmoluk, Pixa Bay.