Harrisites talk preparations for the upcoming school year

Student+bathroom+issues+at+Townsend.+
Katherine Lian
Student bathroom issues at Townsend.

With September quickly approaching (and senior classes at Queens College just two weeks away), Harrisites are taking steps to ensure a successful school year before the fall. Whether it be setting new goals or expectations for themselves, many students hope to start off the school year on the right foot.

Throughout the summer, students reflected on the previous school year and shared their goals for the upcoming months.

“I’m kind of nervous about the upcoming year,” said rising sophomore Vaibhvi Patel, “I think I might change my sport because I want to improve myself in a certain aspect, which I know will benefit my overall fitness. I think I [also] might take things a bit easier, and try not to stress myself out. I look forward to hanging out in the library and making bulletin boards with the guidance team. It was some of the best things I did during my free time.”

With the common goal of improving in mind, rising junior Rubi Kim said, “I want to work on time management and getting all of my assignments done.”

Some students have spent their summer planning for S!NG and FON. This is typically the time where directors meet about the beginning stages of their show.

“I am really looking forward to SING this year as it will be my last year participating and directing the backstage department,” said senior Mikayla Robinson. “All of the directors have been working together and brainstorming to make the show amazing as well as working out the kinks we noticed from last year.”

Other Harrisites have used their summer to rejuvenate themselves to start the year with a fresh state of mind. 

“I’ve been working and hanging out with my friends a lot this summer,” said rising senior Susan Yang. “I think relaxing is super important for [seniors] because we’re going to be surrounded by deadlines [for college] pretty soon.”

With the challenges of senior year in mind, rising senior Jinhang Ren said, “I’m most worried about balancing [THHS] classes, college applications, and Queens College courses without sacrificing on either. Organization becomes more and more important with every year at THHS.”

Seniors will begin attending classes on August 25 for their QC electives exclusively, and the first day of school for all students will be September 7.

View Comments (1)
$1300
$1500