Incoming freshmen attend orientation before the start of the 2023-2024 school year

Katherine Lian
Class of 2027 attend freshman orientation at Townsend Harris.

Last week, the incoming Class of 2027 took part in their freshman orientation at Townsend Harris High School. The event was organized by Assistant Principal Veronica York and led by the Student Union as well as  other student volunteers. It was intended to introduce new students to their teachers and classmates, help them get accustomed to the building, and prepare them for the upcoming school year. 

“The point of this orientation was to give the incoming freshmen the last things they needed before they actually join us,” Senior Advisor Blayne Gelbman said. “Overall, the Student Union took the big ideas and executed [them]. There was a lot of coordination… the new SU board really stepped up and showed the type of leadership and pride we are building.”

Upon entering the building, incoming students were welcomed by THHS upperclassmen and then directed to their official classrooms on the fifth and sixth floors. There, they were able to meet their homeroom teachers, guidance counselors, and fellow peers. Later they were visited by members of the SU and informed about the Big Sib/Little Sib program. They also received their schedules and participated in icebreakers led by THHS student volunteers.

Freshman-Sophomore Class President Shaw Williams said, “The overall turnout was really nice, and I was glad to see how smoothly it went. Some students [who] already attend Townsend explained their clubs to freshmen, and I think we were able to give [them] a warm welcome.”

“I found the orientation to be really fun [because] I got to meet some of my amazing classmates. My favorite part was seeing the upperclassmen take pride in what they do in their clubs,” said incoming freshman Raniel Pasaoa.

Students were then taken to the gym in groups at different times, where they bought gym uniforms, took photos for their IDs, and explored the many extracurriculars that THHS has to offer by walking around and visiting the booths set up by club members in the gym.

“I wanted to run the [Girls’ Soccer] booth because it felt like a tradition that runs in the team, and it’s always fun to see incoming freshmen take [an] interest in soccer,” said senior Mia Esquivel. “We were able to intrigue many people who have never considered playing soccer before.”

Incoming freshman Mirabelle Miketa-Garcia said, “[The orientation] was really great, it made me feel ready for the school year and the teachers that spoke to us explained everything in a clear way. My favorite part was definitely the club fair. It was fun to walk around and see my options, and now I have a list of clubs that I’m excited to join.”

“I was given the opportunity to introduce myself to every incoming freshman [and sophomore],” said Shaw. “I feel like we were really able to connect with [them], and I was glad to see how excited students were coming into high school. This year I’m feeling very excited and optimistic to [serve] as class president and work with our amazing board and faculty.”

Raniel said, “Because of this orientation, I feel ready to take on my first year at Townsend.”