Boys Varsity Soccer starts their season

2023-2024+Boys+Varsity+Soccer+team+
Caylin Chan
2023-2024 Boys Varsity Soccer team

The Boys Varsity Soccer team opened their 2023 season with two ties and one loss this past week. Their first game was against Grover Cleveland High School and it ended in a tie with a score of 3-3. Two goals were scored by Senior Max Golosovker and one goal was scored by Senior Evan Chibisov. 

Their second game was against Information Technology High School with a goal by Max Golosovker and incredible saves by Senior Matthew Almeida that led the team to a tie after overtime. Their third game was played against Middle College High School at LaGuardia Community where they fell short 2-6. However, Freshman August Krauskopf notably scored his first varsity goal. 

The Classic spoke to a few of the players from the team and asked them about their hopes for the season and to reflect on their first few games. 

Senior Aidan Fonteboa said that he hopes that the team could possibly make a strong run in the playoffs. 

Senior and goalie Matthew Almeida said, “My hope for the season is obviously to make it to the finals and win.” He also feels that the group of players have great leadership and will play to the final whistle in every game.  

Similar to Matthew and Aidan, freshman August Krauskopf also hopes to make the playoffs and to continue to help the team as much as possible. He mentioned that the first two games were against two tough teams and he also said that “the keeper came out with some big saves to keep us in the match.” 

Senior captain Anis Djerdjare feels confident starting the season and believes the team has a lot of talent and quality. He said, “I think the first couple games we showed many positives, we created many chances and were able to get into good spaces.” He believes that the team is on the right path and can definitely make the playoffs this year. 

Currently the team is sitting in second place behind Middle College High School at Laguardia Community in the Division A Queens Central division. The boys currently have seven games left in the regular season.