After an undefeated season, the Boys Varsity Badminton team takes the championship home

Ni Wei Lu
Boys Varsity Badminton team wins the 2023-2024 chamionships.

On November 20, the Boys Varsity Badminton team secured their second City Championship in three years against Franklin D. Roosevelt High School after going undefeated in their division with an 8-0 record. In a hard-fought match at Edward R. Murrow High School, the team put up an impressive fight. After an intense second doubles match ultimately breaking the 2-2 tie, the team emerged victorious with a final score of 3-2. 

Senior Captain Jie Xuan Tang said there was “an instant adrenaline rush because we were nervously watching the game-deciding final set,” and that immediately after the winning shot, everyone rushed towards their teammates in celebration.

“My teammates go above and beyond to play outside of school, all with the goal of having fun whilst winning,” Senior Captain Vincent Wyntar-Oo. Vincent said the Semi-Finals matchup against Bronx Science High School showed the strengths of the team. Despite Bronx Science posing as a tough opponent, he said that “each of us overcame our own mental challenges and won our own battles to contribute to the overall team wipe, which was so gratifying.”

Third singles player and junior Leo Huang reflected on the season, saying  I’ve learned how to overcome tough games and had fun cheering for my team.”

For second doubles player and junior Apurbo Haider, his priorities coming into the season were set on small, weekly goals that gradually built up to the ultimate goal of winning the championships. After having met that goal, he said, “I couldn’t believe it was all over. I was in total utter disbelief that we won.” 

Junior Tony Xia shared that his initial reaction was of gratitude rather than surprise, as he “had full confidence that [his] teammates would succeed.” He greatly attributes his captains’ high level of professionalism and leadership for their success. 

“Watching the final point finish instinctively made my body jump, and I was just in so much joy,” said junior Justin Xia. He also expressed his fondness for the team, especially his captains, as they “[gave] advice to everyone on the team and didn’t hesitate to play against anyone, no matter the skill disparity,” allowing for both him and his teammates to undergo incredible growth. 

Coach Matt Lemanczyk described his team as “relentless,” noting that the entire team “gave it their all from the start of the season in August to the final game-winning point.” Lemanczyk had winning the title of City Champions in mind since last season when his team took second in the city. He believed “with a strong core returning this year, [they] had a good chance to make another great run.” 

Coach Lemanczyk said he was ecstatic after his team secured the Championship win. He said, “There’s nothing like winning the final game and realizing that all the hard work in the off-season and during the season finally paid off. To see the joy and excitement experienced by all players when that final point was won is just priceless.” Mr. Lemanczyk said that leadership and hard work greatly contributed to his team’s success. He said Captains Jie Xuan and Vincent’s “led by example and served as motivators throughout the season.” He spoke highly of everyone, saying “from top to bottom, each player pushed themselves to be the best they could be and as a result, we were very successful.” 

Looking towards the future, Mr. Lemanczyk hopes the team will continue to train, improve, and enjoy the game of Badminton. Although he recognizes it will be difficult to replace the seniors leaving, he said “the team is full of tremendous talent.” 

Freshman Samuele Marcucci said he feels a sense of obligation to step up after the seniors graduate, and to “keep winning for us, and them.” He said he feels that the seniors will be leaving behind an amazing legacy to carry on, and that they “left such an imprint on this team [that] it’s hard to imagine the team without them.”  

From holding undefeated records to earning City Champions, the THHS Boys Badminton team have clearly established themselves as a top contender in the city. Jie Xuan said he wouldn’t change anything about this season, other than the fact that he “[hopes] this team can stay this way and excel in future seasons.”