With playoffs on the horizon, Girls Varsity Basketball Captains lead their team to a 12-1 record

Caylin Chan

As the winter season is coming to a close, the Girls Varsity Basketball team is holding their own with twelve wins and one loss. This year’s captains are seniors Caylin Chan (Classic Sports Editor), Audrey Lin (Classic Opinion Editor), and Ioanna Giannopoulou. 

The captains reflected on their previous years and shared their favorite memories on the team. Captains Audrey and Caylin both believe last season was unforgettable. Audrey said, “My favorite memory was last season when we won our quarterfinals game on a buzzer beater in double overtime to go into the final four.” 

Similarly, Caylin expressed that her favorite memory was “reaching the semifinals in the city playoffs.” Not only are the games memorable, but so are the practices. “My favorite memory of the team would have to be every day at practice, where we make each other better. Team bonding is my favorite, as I love spending time with my teammates talking about everything and anything,” said Ioanna. 

Now that the girls are captains, they have taken on new responsibilities. Caylin said, “My responsibilities as captain include leading and encouraging the team at practice and in game. It also includes communicating with the team and organizing transportation and team activities.” 

Audrey said, “As captain, I’m responsible for maintaining a constant line of communication with Coach Caiaccia, ensuring that every aspect of our team’s operations runs smoothly.” 

Ioanna believes her responsibility as captain includes keeping the spirit up no matter how rough it can get. “No matter what the scoreboard says, I always strive to make sure that the entire team is optimistic, giving high-fives, providing words of encouragement, and talking it up,” she said.

As a high commitment team, with practices held six days a week, the captains share how their leadership role has changed their outlook on the sport. Both Caylin and Audrey believe the role has made them realize the importance of communication and team bonding. “My position as team captain has given me a new appreciation for strong team communication and taught me how to be a better leader,” said Caylin. Ioanna also expresses the honor of experiencing the role of team captain.  “It’s really nice because I get to see it from a different perspective, not just a player but also a captain.” 

Although the winter season is not finished yet, the captains have earned appreciation from their teammates. Junior Adrita Dey and Freshman Jada Heredia believe the captains do everything to their best ability so everything can run smoothly. “The team captains always do their best to get everybody hyped and make sure our games are going smoothly. They also make sure every level of skill is covered. I literally love them,” said Adrita. Junior Loise Arcega who has been on the team since her freshman year says that they are, “very inspirational and I love them so much. They are amazing friends and captains.”

Coach Caiacca said, “I think Io (Ioanna), Audrey, and Caylin are making excellent captains for the girls basketball team. They are leading by example [and] keeping everybody coordinated.…they’re putting their best effort forward to show their true selves in basketball fashion.” 

As the season continues and the team advances into playoffs, the captains remain committed to supporting their team, fulfilling their responsibilities given by Coach Caiaccia, and ensuring their last season is one that they will never forget.