Boys soccer finish overtime thriller tied at three

On Friday, September 13, the boys soccer team faced off against Franklin K. Lane High School. Before this match, they had faced Richmond Hill, who  forfeited, resulting in a win for the Hawks. After overtime, this game ended in a 3-3 draw.

The Hawks struck first when Sophomore Branco Gamarra won a challenge, dribbled into the box and placed the ball past the goalie on the left side of the net.

Going into the second half, the Hawks were up 1-0, but Lane High School responded by scoring the first two goals of the half, giving them a one goal lead. Co-captain Mateusz Chrobak said, “We definitely cannot start the second half flat like we did.”

Branco responded for the Hawks with a goal on a penalty kick after being fouled in the box. Lane took the lead on a penalty kick of their own heading into the final minutes. Then in the final play of regulation, co-captain Daniel Yacar scored the game-tying goal on a 30 yard free kick. Daniel’s goal would force the game into overtime. However, no team scored, ending the game in a 3-3 tie.

Branco, playing in his first PSAL game, led many of the Hawks’ attacks and scored two of the team’s three goals. He said “I didn’t feel any pressure. I just went out and played my game.” As for how the game ended, Branco felt it was a “pretty decent performance from all of [them].”

Both captains agreed that there is still improvement to be made but that overall they played well. “We still have a problem opening up second halves, but other than that we played great soccer,” said Daniel. Mateusz.  He added, “After a few tweaks here and there and less mistakes throughout the game we can be a very dangerous team.”

This leaves the Hawks with one win, no losses, and one tie. With four points, the Hawks are now atop their division. The Hawks’ next game will be on Monday, September 16 against Flushing High School at Flushing Memorial Field.