Girls soccer score a win

Senior captain Olivia Mcfadden dribbles the ball towards the goal for a shot. Photo taken <br /><figcaption id=Photo by Izabela Zubrzycka

The subtle announcement of a prospective captain wasn’t the only thing that Coach Sioukas changed this game. He also switched up the starting line up and moved Athina Mihaliadis to center midfield. Coach Sioukas said, “It was a smart move to make. We had to get more aggressive, so I moved Athina up from sweeper to midfield, hoping that she and [sophomore] Dina Goodger could set each other up and get some good kicks from the outside.”

The first half of the game opened up with an assist from Olivia Mcfadden to junior Paula Fraczek for the first goal of the game. The next goal came from an assist from Dina. Dina passed the ball over to Olivia, which allowed her to outmaneuver her defender and score the team’s second goal. Right before halftime, Flushing junior Kimberly Carvajal slammed into Athina, causing Athina to hurt her lower back. Although Athina sat out for the rest of the game, it was not a serious injury and she should be able to play for the next game.

In the second half, Olivia scored two more goals, putting THHS up 4 to 0 over Flushing and securing their win. After the fourth goal, Coach Sioukas started to substitute his starters out, until eventually he had the whole bench out on the field all at once.

The girls next game is Thursday, October 3 against Long Island City High School, a team that will be good competition for THHS.