Varsity volleyball cannot dig out win against Lewis

On September 30, the girls’ varsity volleyball team lost to Francis Lewis High School.  The game ended 2 sets to 1 in favor of Lewis.

After winning the first set 25-17, the girls would lose the next two sets by the same score, 25-18.

Throughout the game, the starting lineup played well.  Outside hitter senior Bianca Dilan had nine service points with three of them being aces. Bianca also combined with Junior Lucy Lim for 16 kills, seven of them belonging to Bianca. In addition, libero Junior Emma Noblesala contributed with nine digs and Junior Debra Chan had six service points.

Senior setter Suha Na Javeed who had 16 assists, thought that the team didn’t look the same, “as a team our cooperation was good as always, but one by one our stamina ran out towards the end of the game.”

Coach Weinstein was disappointed with the girls saying that after winning the first set, the girls weren’t in the game and “weren’t ready to play the second set.”  In addition, Weinstein noticed that after losing the second set, the girls lost their confidence and enthusiasm which are essential to the game.  “When we lost the second game, we lost our confidence which carried over to the third game.”

Junior Debra Chan agreed with Weinstein.  She believes that the team came out strong but then beat themselves, letting their mistakes frustrate them.  Compared to their first two games, Debra saw that “against Bayside and QHST, we made our mistakes but we put them in the past and got ready for the next play.  But against Francis Lewis, we didn’t move onto the next play and were a little slow on bouncing back.”

In the end, Weinstein and the girls are leaving this disappointing loss in the past and looking to the future, with Weinstein “looking forward to our next game against Francis Lewis.”

The Hawks will hit the road to face Van Buren on October 2nd.