Girls soccer loses to LIC

Sophomore Ivanka Juran prepares to pass the ball. Photo taken <br /><figcaption id=Photo taken by: Izabela Zubrzycka

On Thursday, October 3, the girls soccer team lost 5 to 1 to Long Island City High School. Although Coach Sioukas was confident in the team’s ability to play a strong game against LIC, the girls did not get the win they were hoping for.

To start the first half, THHS scored the first goal off a rebound from junior Paula Fraczek’s corner kick. Senior captain Olivia McFadden saved the rebound and passed it to sophomore Ivanka Juran who scored the team’s first goal. LIC was quick to match and surpass THHS’s initial lead, breaking through the defense multiple times. THHS had a couple of opportunities to score, but never converted those chances into actual points.

In the second half, Olivia was fouled inside the penalty area and took a penalty kick, but LIC’s goalie, senior Karen Amaya, saved the ball. The game ended with a disappointing 5-1 loss for THHS.

When asked how this loss will affect their team from here on out, Paula responded, “It makes getting to playoffs more difficult, but it’s still possible as long as we learn from the mistakes we made and put in more effort. The loss did slow the momentum of the team a bit, but it’s just another game, so we have to shake it off and get back on track.”

The team’s next game is Monday, October 7, against High School for Arts and Business, a must win for the team.