Boys fence their way to a win

Senior captain and foilist Andy Yeung lunges at his opponent. Photo taken <br /><figcaption id=Photo taken by: Rebekah Jones

The boys fencing team remains undefeated after their victory against Robert F. Kennedy High School (RFK) on October 3. The foil team won with a score of 44 to 19 and the épée team won with a score of 45 to 25. Senior captains Andy Yeung and Jordan Brandwein anchored the team throughout the match in foil and épée respectively.

Similar to their first match of the season against Jamaica High School, the atmosphere was relaxed because RFK was not a challenging team. Last year, RFK finished last in the Queens division with a record of six losses and no wins.

Many of the newer fencers received the opportunity to fence, some for the first time. It was the first match for Junior Wilson Yeung and Sophomore David Zarowin. Both showed off their potential by exhibiting poise during their bouts and winning both with ease. These wins not only helped the team, but they also helped Wilson and David prove their fencing abilities to the rest of the team. Senior foil captain Daniel Restifo had a standout performance, helping the team get through a tough sixth bout.

The team chemistry and strong performances from the fencers have been the contributing factors to their current record of three wins and zero losses. “The whole team performed well together,” Jordan said. “Our rookies got the spotlight.”

Recent THHS graduate and last year’s girls épée captain Fariha Hussain revisited her alma mater to watch the boys’ first home game and to cheer them on. This was also the team’s first win on their home court, and they are pleased to start the season off so well. “It just felt great to win our first game at home,” Jordan said. The fencing team looks to keep up their undefeated record on October 9 against Queens High School of Teaching.