Boys soccer falls 2-1 to Queens Vocational

On Columbus Day, the Boys Soccer Team faced off against the Queens Vocational and Technical High School Tigers. The Hawks fell short, losing 2-1.

The Hawks knew that they would be facing a very tough opponent. Coach Matthew Curiale said that the Tigers are “a very intense and talented team every year. They often win the division.” The Hawks were coming off a great win against the Information Technology High School Blackhawks.

The Tigers would score the only goal of the first half. In the second half, each team scored a goal, with the Hawks’ goal coming off a shot by Senior Michael Jazgarski that hit off a defender and made its way into the goal.

Coach Curiale said, “Although we lost the game I was proud of the team because they never gave up and they kept the score close.”

A problem for the Hawks this year has been getting on a winning streak, as they have not won two games in a row. Senior and Co-Captain Daniel Yacar said, “We need to play with the same intensity throughout the games; we have patches of flatness that allows other teams to seize the opportunities that prevent us from going on a winning streak.”

Junior Syed Rahman added, “We all have great skill but we still haven’t learned to play as a team at our highest capacity.”

The Hawks are now at 4 wins, 4 losses, and 2 ties. They are still in third place with 14 points, but just one point behind second place Metropolitan Campus and five points behind the division leaders, High School for Arts & Business.

Syed said that the “whole team must perform at their highest level in order to make and succeed in the playoffs.”

The next game will play a large role in deciding who finishes in second place.