Following Thanksgiving, boys track takes on the Pilgrim Games

Yash Sharma turns the corner during his 3200 meter run. Photo by Karen Su

Photo by Karen Su.
Yash Sharma turns the corner during his 3200 meter run.
Photo by Karen Su

The boys indoor track season kicked off with the first meet of the year, the Pilgrim Games, on December 1st at the Armory. The team, a combination of veterans and new faces, was able to get their first competitive sprints, jumps and throws in.

Some like junior Minhaj Rahman set a new PR by two feet and two inches for throwing 34 ft 6in. in the 12 lb Shot put, which secured him sixth place.

Junior Junwoo Shin ranked second in the Triple Jump with 32 ft 7.75 in. followed by Freshman Adam Sosnicki,, ranking 3rd with 31ft. 2.50in. Adam also ranked 2nd in the Frosh Long Jump out of seven boys.

Adam said, “I felt as if the competition was rather easy, I was one of the two freshman to jump over thirteen feet, so I’m definitely more confident towards next week’s long jump.”

Other noteworthy results came from junior Evan Mancini who ranked third in the pole vault and sixth in the Long Jump. The 4×200 relay team placed 14th due to the teamwork of senior Jack Yuan, juniors Brian King and Shaunak Kapse and sophomore Abdoulaye Diallo.

Townsend Harris had four boys place in the top 15 for the 3200 meter run. Junior Yash Sharma ranked fifth with a time of 10:45, senior Christian Castro ranked tenth (11:01), senior Thomas Sullivan ranked twelfth (11:07) and freshman Muhamed Bicic ranked fifteenth (11:09).

In the 4×800 meter relay team, Townsend Harris ranked 11th. The team consists of Senior captain Kyle Su, Senior Christian Castro, Sophomore Noah Silversmith,  and  Freshman Muhamed Bicic with a time of 9:22.

With the first meet completed, the team now has a barometer of what to expect for the rest of the season from both themselves as well as their competition.

Yash said, “My competition is definitely tough this year. The same kids that I was battling during Cross Country are back, but honestly it pushes me to train harder and race faster.”

Muhamed said, “ I was pretty anxious and looked forward for the first meet because a lot of the returning players expressed a lot of excitement towards the indoor season.”

Kyle said, “I think we did really well. As with all sports, you can’t expect too much at the first meet. There’s supposed to be a gradual improvement over the season, as our runners adapt to the shorter races, and our jumpers/throwers return to their events.”

The boys’ next meet will the Jim McKay games which are to be held on Sunday December 8 at the Armory Track.