Turkey trot a gobbling success

On November 26, Townsend Harris trackies braved the rain to participate in the annual Turkey Trot, a 1.5 mile fun run sponsored by the boys’ cross-country team held at the Queens College track after school.

Coach Rio of the boys cross country team explained that although there is no real prize anymore, at one point in the race’s history a real frozen turkey was awarded to the winner.

Assistant Principal Ellen Fee added that the race is now more about bragging rights.

At 3:35 pm, the runners took off from the start line. Junior Yash Sharma held the lead throughout the race, crossing the finish line with a time of 8:07.

After catching his breath, Yash explained how he was planning to use the race as a time trial before the indoor track season commenced. “The race is only competitive if you really want it to be.” He concluded by saying, “It’s a good way for the school to join together as a whole.”

The runner-up, senior Thomas Sullivan (8:18), appreciated the large turnout to the race, despite the inclement weather.

Only two alumni partook in this year’s Trot, Josh Solomon and Tyler Najac, both members of the class of 2012. Both alumnus said they had run the race since their freshmen year and have no intention to stop coming back.

“Although it wasn’t the case this year, the Turkey Trot is usually a way for us Harrisites to reconnect and catch up with each other,” Josh said.

Tyler added, “As long as we know somebody here, we’ll keep coming back.”

AP World History teacher and assistant coach of the girls cross country team, Adam Stonehill, was the only faculty member to run in this year’s race. “Our goal, ultimately, is to get lifetime runners, and I’m happy I get to model that.” Jokingly, he added: “What’s really great about this event is that you can keep coming back until you die.”