Girls Indoor: Night at the Sprints – 12/20/13

The Townsend Harris girls indoor track team spent their first hours of the winter break at the Armory Track in Washington Heights where they participated in the PSAL Night at the Sprints Meet. Their most significant accomplishment was in both the freshman and varsity 4 X 200 meter relays, where both teams finished swiftly. The freshman team placed third out of six teams in their relay. In the varsity relay, the first THHS varsity team placed seventh, with a time of 1:59, while the second THHS varsity team placed twenty-third.  Despite their speed and well-executed baton passing, neither of the two varsity teams qualified for finals. In other races, many girls set personal records. In the varsity 55 meter high hurdles, sophomore Toni Alexander set a record of 11.25 seconds. In the varsity triple jump, senior Esther Jou set a record of 29 feet, 11.75 inches. In the varsity 1500 meter race walk, sophomores Patricia Wang and Wendy Liu set records of 8:16 and 8:40, respectively. In the same race, after holding the lead for two laps, senior captain Sophia Mahin was passed by Jessica Szela from McKee/Staten Island Tech. Sophia said that “it was a bad race for me,” and attributing her second place finish to being “really sore from practice this week”. All in all, however, the many of the girls felt like they had done a good job at the meet, although they are not completely satisfied. Junior Karen Su said, “We are starting out strong for the season. But we definitely have work to do.”

Made by Kristine Guillaume.
Made by Kristine Guillaume.