Pearl River Holiday Festival – 12/27/13

On December 27, the girls indoor track team participated in the Pearl River Holiday Festival Meet at Rockland Community College in upstate New York. They were the only New York City team to participate in the meet. At the end of the day, several girls earned medals and set personal records. In the freshman-sophomore 1500 meter race walk, freshman Dulce Cervantes and sophomores Patricia Wang, Wendy Liu, and Hannah Yoo earned medals for their top ten finishes. Dulce, Hannah, and freshman Maressa Cumbermack set personal records. In the varsity 1500 meter race walk, senior captain Sophia Mahin and junior Karen Su placed first and fourth respectively. Both earned medals and Karen set a personal record of 8:04. In the freshman-sophomore 55 meter hurdles, sophomore Ivy Lam medaled by placing sixth with a time of 10.80 seconds. In other events, the Lady Hawks were not as strong as they usually are. Sophomore Kellie Zestanakis tied for eighth out of ten in the freshman-sophomore pole vault with two other athletes, and none of the girls who participated in the freshman-sophomore 800 meter run or varsity triple jump medaled or set personal records. Despite this, the girls are positive about the next meet and are ready to make necessary improvements. Junior Karen Su said, “We did not perform as great as we normally would. There is definitely room for improvement.”

Made by Kristine Guillaume.
Made by Kristine Guillaume.