QC counseling available for all

THHS has recently added a “new arm of the Guidance Department” with a program referred to as “Queens College Peer Support Services.” With these services, students can freely go to the Guidance Conference Room (room 312) during their lunch bands on any Wednesday of the school year to discuss problems and manage their stress.

The QC Peer Support Services are a way for students to meet with current QC college students and mentors to discuss personal concerns, graduation issues, college worries, and more. Students will also be given presentations on important topics such as cyber bullying, body image, and healthy relationships. A social worker will also be available to talk to students from time to time.

Assistant Principal Veronica York, who collaborated with Queens College to bring the program to Townsend Harris, thought of the idea when she realized the need for peer counseling services. In an interview, she stated, “It’s always easier to talk to people who understand what you are going through, so I thought talking to college students that are already on campus was a great idea.” With this in mind, she met with the head of the Peer Support Services at Queens College as well as current guidance counselors, and the program was added to Townsend Harris.

Guidance counselor Justine Singer shared her thoughts on the program.

“[The QC Peer Support Services] are a great idea,” Ms. Singer says. “It’s necessary for students to have someone they can be able to talk to, a constant that will always be there, and QC Services provide just that.”