Boys handball redeems themselves with a win

On April 3, the boys handball team served up an easy victory over Richmond Hill High School, winning 5-0. The Hawks won a refreshing victory after losing their two previous games to Bayside and Francis Lewis High School. This win left the Hawks with a record of 1-2 in wins and losses, respectively.

Although the score seems to suggest an easy win, the team felt it was truly a hard-fought battle. Junior Stanley Li, who won his singles game, felt that it was a tough matchup against his opponent, a long-time handball player, “Although the score may seem like it was an easy game, it is misleading because it really wasn’t. We played Richmond Hill this game and their first singles player has been playing on the team for years. I played him last year as well and I lost 21-19. I thought this win was more due to mental strength than physical.” Even when his adversary began to make a comeback despite Stanley’s comfortable lead, Stanley was able to close the match in his favor.

Freshman Thomas Chu, who had no previous experience with handball before coming to THHS, was still able to win the second doubles match with teammate Alex Lai with a score of 21-0.

Although junior Jacky Teoh had won his singles match 21-5, he felt that this performance was not a clear indicator of his improvement from the beginning of the season. However, with the rest of the performances, many of the players felt that this game was a good indicator for the rest of the season.

Afterwards, Coach Jonathan Cubillos praised the team, calling the win well-deserved, and commenting on how everyone had played to the best of their abilities. When speaking to Stanley, Cubillos told him, “The goal of the sport may seem like winning, but the real goal is to enjoy the sport itself and that is what makes the victory worthwhile.” Cubillos ended his congratulations by telling everyone to rest up for their upcoming game.