Fencing tops Championships

Photo by Melissa Wong

Photo </a><figcaption id=Photo by Melissa Wong

DESPITE A busy month full of Queens College finals and AP exams, the girls fencing team squeezed themselves into a fourth place finish at the PSAL City Championships.

There, the Townsend Harris fencing team racked up a plethora of medals. The épée team placed frst in its competition, winning 45-28. The team of senior captain Emily Cirulnick, junior captain Rebekah Jones, and sophomore Doreen Wu grabbed the title, defeating Francis Lewis High School, NEST+m, and Brooklyn Technical High School. This gave THHS 100 points and marked the épée team’s victory.

Épée captain Emily Cirulnick remarked that constant dedication from her teammates fueled this victory, saying, “We spend ten hours a week working hard to maintain this lead.”

The foil team of senior captain Eva Jiang, senior Alondra Lerebours, and junior Lavonia Duncan landed a respectable sixth place finish after a narrow defeat by Fiorella H. LaGuardia High School. This contributed 69 points to the team’s overall score.

Eva believes that strong moral support from teammates was critical. She said, “Helping each other out really betters ourselves as fencers.”

Coach Katherine Yan was extremely proud, citing the team’s hard work as the cause of their success. “They worked so hard from the frst day of practice. They even trained during the boys season during the summer to prepare for our season and their efforts and hard work definitely paid of,” she said.

This victory comes atop another successful season for the team, who finished the regular season 6-0, ranking first in their division.

Looking toward the future, Rebekah said, “I feel like if we always fence like we fenced in this tournament, there won’t be anything that can stand in our way