Bowling team strikes again

After having a successful 2014 season that ended in a first round playoff loss, the girls bowling team came back this year ready to extend their journey to the PSAL championship. Having won 12 out of the 13 games, the team placed first place in the Queens I League and was the number 15 seed out of 30 in the playoffs. This high seed was enough to get the Hawks a first round bye in the playoff bracket.

In the second round of the playoffs Townsend Harris bowled against the Stuyvesant PegLegs whom they had previously lost to last year during the first round of the playoffs.  Although the teams seemed to be evenly matched, as the PegLegs were seeded 18th, the Lady Hawks still lost two games to one.

Senior Jessica Lung expressed her feelings about losing to the Stuyvesant PegLegs saying, “We were kind of off and we were mind of out of it. But we could’ve won that game. That game was technically completely beatable.”

Despite this disappointing loss, the girls still had a dominant season. In the statistics column, Jessica came in the top three in the categories of average, total pins and highest score in the Queens I League. Additionally, junior Mya Allen came in first place for highest score, knocking down 164 pins.

Ms. Assante expressed her pride in the team and their hard work. “We are at the lanes everyday from the minute the season starts” she said.

Moreover, the team has attended clinics at Jib Lanes to refine their skills. Arthur Dobson, an experienced bowler who works at Jib Lanes has worked with the girls every Friday to help them improve their accuracy.

Ms. Assante claims, “He can look at a mistake and pick it up and fix it really quickly and the kids really respond to him. The kids get a different perspective. Sometimes the teachers tell you one thing a million times and it sometimes clicks when you hear it from another person.”

Another competition the girls are preparing for is the city individual championships. Jessica Lung and fellow senior Cindy Lin were chosen to represent the Hawks in this match.

Jessica, who is only a two year member of the team, is receiving the honor to represent her team in the individual championships for a second year in a row.  Feeling that her past experience will prove to be beneficial, Jessica knows what to expect from this match which has helped her in preparation.

“To get ready, Cindy and I have been practicing consistently everyday at the bowling alley, trying to find the way that’s best for us to bowl. I’m nervous about the individuals, but I’m also expecting a lot from myself” she said.

Adding on, Cindy Lin, who is going to the event for the first time said, “Going to individuals is pretty exciting. It’s the first time I’m going and I’m eager. But these are the best girls in queens bowling so I am nervous too.”

As a final note Ms.Assante conveyed her thoughts on the Girls Bowling Season “I am so proud of their dedication and their teamwork. They are disciplined and worked very hard. Just bowling well can’t be enough, you have to put a little bit more of yourself into it. They really dedicated themselves and I am really proud of them.”