Girls Softball Preview

With the girls set to take the field this spring season, the varsity softball team aims to deepen their playoff run this year, after having been defeated

With a number of their starting lineup gone, there’s a lot of work to be done in terms of filling up their roster this year. In spite of this, Dina remarks, “This year looks really promising because we have a lot of underclassmen who have shown a lot of interest [and] there is a lot of really great potential and hopefully we’ll be able to see more of it as the season starts.”

Furthermore, junior Samantha Jaloza noted that the biggest obstacle this year will be in “establishing a team dynamic,” stating, “we are basically a completely new team.”

Regarding the change in team structure, Dina commented that “this year might be tough at first but we’re definitely willing to work hard.”

The team’s coach, Nicole Fountoulis, remarked on the team’s high morale entering the season. She said, “Last season we had five graduating seniors which leaves a big hole in our line up. However, this year’s team is not fazed by that. We are starting the season off with a positive mind set, willing to work hard to improve and compete to the highest of our ability.” Coach Fountoulis then added on that she and the team “hope to keep this positive team chemistry all the way to playoffs.”
The softball team is eager to take on another season, and determined to win as many games as they possibly can. Though inevitably there will be challenges to face, according to the captains, the team will look to “do the best that [they] can and improve from last year.” Ultimately, though, what both captains hope for is that “the girls have fun, learn a lot, and play really hard.”