Bold Colors and Two-Pieces at Prom 2016

The biggest fashion event of the THHs calendar is less than two weeks away, and seniors are cramming in last minute hair appointments, dress alterations, promposals, and tux fittings. Don’t get at the (Water’s) edge of your seat; this year we’ll be dancing until dawn at Russo’s on the Bay.

There are a couple of red flags we should be on the look out for, but a fiery red prom dress isn’t one. Seniors Faheema Syahbal and Maryum Begum are among the daring gals bold enough to make a hue-tiful fashion statement on June 2. Maryum says, “I didn’t want anything ordinary. I think red is so eye-catching an bold compared to the usual classic prom colors.” Their dresses are solid red and simply cut, some fashioned with slits and others embellished with lace. Because of the vibrant color, detailing and decoration should be kept minimal and simplistic, as should accessories and shoes. From elegant clutches to delicate jewels, neutrals are ideal pairings for these red-hot fashionistas.

Senior Victoria Wozny, Smriti Vaidya, and Samantha Quinn are exiting a piece (or two) of the prom comfort zone and are setting trends for the rising seniors. Victoria says, “I decided to go with a two-piece because I love how unconventional it is. It’s actually a lot more comfortable too!” These dresses are gaining popularity in the virtual prom mall along with stores and companies like Estelle’s and Sherri Hill, due to their atypical shape and lengthening effect.

The (a)typical gown contains an embelished crop top with chunkky, dazzling jewels as sported by Smriti Vaidya. The maxi skirt is usually left with little to no adornment, other than the hue. Some dresses create the opposite effect, with a simple crop top and ombre skirt.