How Harrisites spent their summer vacation

Katherine Lian

For many Harrisites, the summer is a time to relax and refresh from months of rigorous academics. Some students took this opportunity to travel and explore new places, while others spent their time exploring academic pursuits.

Many THHS students took the summer to visit new states. Senior Chris Bhoodai went to the Pocono Mountains in Pennsylvania and described the various activities around the area. He said, “My family and I went go-karting and visited an animal rescue, which had monkeys, bears, and snakes that couldn’t go back into the wild.” 

Sophomore Vaibhvi Patel visited Massachusetts this summer and “spent a week going to different places and trying the new foods available,” she said.

Traveling out of the country, senior Shannon Jackman flew to Bonaire in the Caribbean Netherlands. She visited the island for a week and said, “I went scuba diving twice a day where I would see different creatures, such as sea turtles, moray eels, and schools of tropical fish.” She explained how scuba diving is one of her hobbies that she cannot participate in during the school year, so she was glad to have the opportunity to revisit it in the summer. “When I wouldn’t be scuba diving, I went snorkeling in the turquoise water at night to see the huge Tarpon, a large fish,” she said.

Senior Alishya Loyd also traveled internationally. Throughout June, she visited different countries in Europe, such as England and France. She said, “In London, I visited the Madame Tussauds, the London Eye, Buckingham Palace, Chinatown, and Windsor Castle.” During her time in France, she visited the Lourdes Church and described her whole vacation to be “calming and aesthetically pleasing.”

Sophomore Alvin Lin went to Fuzhou, China to spend not only quality time with his family but also to see new places. During his visit, he was happy to have “visited Monkey Mountain, a mountain area home to monkeys, with his family,” he said. 

Apart from exploring the world, students also found a way to incorporate volunteering, internships and personalized studying plans into their summer schedules. Junior Isaac Wong said, “I worked at a summer camp and did some light SAT prep.” 

Senior Nylah Flaherty spent the majority of her summer interning at a small business and architecture firm. She said, “Some days at the internship consisted of routine clerical work, while others were centered around cultural exploration and engaging with new people.”