Musician Spotlight: Nicolas Lin’s musical journey at THHS

Nicolas Lin, onstage playing the violin.

From leading the Freshiors’ instrumental department to attending programs at The Juilliard School, a private performing arts school, senior Nicolas Lin seems to have done it all with the bow of an instrument. 

Nicolas has been playing the violin for over ten years and has participated in multiple musical programs. He attended a music tour in South Carolina, was accepted into the Heifetz Institute of Music in Virginia (an institute that trains string players), and was even a part of the youngest chamber group to perform at St. Stephen’s Cathedral in Vienna, Austria. 

At Townsend Harris, Nicolas was the lead of the Freshiors’ instrumental department for S!NG 2023, and will also be the lead of the Semores’ instrumental department this year.

Nicolas has been a part of Chamber Strings since his freshman year. He said, “At Townsend, I get the opportunity to collaborate with a greater variety of musicians than I’m normally used to. Collaborations with band musicians through S!NG and other events help expand my view of music. I think that’s one of my favorite parts about THHS – the musicians are always eager to share their experiences and talents with others.”

The musician described his career as absorbing, due to the high level of work it requires every day. He said, “The amount of time and effort that goes into improving as a musician requires many sacrifices on my part. Oftentimes, I have to sacrifice sleep, energy, time, and relationships. Of course it can get exhausting, but I truly enjoy music and to me, it’s worth it.”

Nicolas said that his biggest inspiration in his musical pursuits is his brother Nathan Lin, a THHS alumnus. Nicolas said, “I admire his technical prowess, and hope to achieve a similar level of technicality.” He also mentioned that a famous violinist that he greatly admires is Hilary Hahn. He said, “Her interpretations of music are unrivaled, and she truly is another one of my biggest inspirations.”

Nicolas’ hard work over the years has given him the solid groundwork any good musician needs for a successful career. He said, “ I believe music is an integral part [of] me,” and he plans to “continue with [his] musical studies beyond college and [hopes] to minor in it in the future.”