Harrisites discuss the rise of Laufey’s jazz music

Julia Waters

In the past few months, Laufey has risen to fame, going viral on TikTok, with tracks such as “From The Start” and “Falling Behind”, capturing the hearts of millions around the world, including many Harrisites. Her music draws inspiration from jazz musicians such as Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, and Chet Baker, while also combining modern elements into her music. With her rising popularity, Laufey’s concert has been an exciting experience for fans, with hundreds of fans buying tickets across the world. 

Many Harrisites have been following Laufey and expressed their love for the musician on social media. However, many categorize Laufey as a “Tiktok musician,” which some Harrisites disagree with. Sophomore Emani Iman said, “Her music makes you feel good, and the fact that some people are calling her music ‘TikTok music’ is an insult because she is so gifted.”

Laufey’s unique take on her music is also something that stands out with Harrisites. Senior Kaylah Rouzier said, “I think Laufey’s music is especially unique because of the influences within her songs. Not many artists in mainstream media create music inspired by jazz, so it’s very cool to see that with Laufey.”

Despite jazz being a historically popular genre, its prominence has declined in recent years, as other genres have become more mainstream. Laufey’s rise in the music industry has played a significant role in renewing appreciation for the genre. Freshman Maliha Duggal said, “I always knew of jazz music, but never fully acknowledged it or endeavored to listen to it until I started listening to Laufey. Her music got me interested in the genre and I’ve been exploring [Jazz music] more as of lately.”

The first leg of Laufey’s “Bewitched” tour spans across 24 U.S. cities, during the months of October and November. Her New York City show took place on November 1, and students posted about the concert experience on social media, showcasing and praising the musician for her stage presence. 

Junior Emily Cantos, who attended the concert, said, “I am almost certain that there was no backtrack, but her voice still sounded just like the studio version. There were moments where she had riffs or runs that weren’t in the original song but she carried them out so beautifully either way.” 

While many students were not able to attend the concert, some Harrisites have been able to follow Laufey’s tour on social media. Kaylah, who had watched videos of the tour, said, “I’ve only seen a few clips of Laufey’s live performances. I think it’s really cool how she often collaborates with orchestras to play her songs live.”

Harrisites were also impressed with Laufey’s interactions with fans during the concert. Junior Julia Waters said, “Laufey connected with the audience. She made us do a harmony together with the band and then she shouted ‘New York!’ She also explained the songs beforehand, like how she came up with [the lyrics], and when and where she wrote them.”

With 2023 being a big year for Laufey, the musician continues to leave a lasting impression among fans. Recently, she announced the second leg of her “Bewitched” tour, Bewitched: The Goddess Tour, where fans will have the opportunity to experience Laufey’s music live once again. With the rise of her music, many are eager to see where Laufey lands in the music industry.