Favorite foods help make this winter season warmer

Karen Lin
Harristies spoke to The Classic about their favorite winter meals.

As the winter season continues, students at THHS look forward to familiar winter dishes to help them get through the chilly season. Harristies spoke to The Classic about their favorite winter meals.

Senior Eliana Varkoutas, Junior Joline Tung, and Sophomore Chloe Rosin enjoy chicken noodle soup, a classic comfort food. “My mom [usually] makes it because it goes with everything. Homemade chicken noodle soup always tastes better,” says Chloe. Both Eliana and Joline see the soup as comforting, “It just warms you up on a cold day,” said Joline. 

“If I’m cold or not feeling well or having a bad day, chicken noodle soup is my go to choice. I’ll have it at home every so often, but I mainly get it from the Science [building] cafe during my free [bands],” says Eliana. 

Some Harristies enjoy winter by indulging in their own unique cultural dishes. For freshman Emmie Krikheli, winter brings the scent of Khinali, a traditional Georgian dish that features a dumpling filled with meat and broth. She said, “I have never met a person who hasn’t liked Khinali. We have this food usually at home because I live in an immigrant household and we hold it close to our hearts.” 

Hot chocolate is essential for many Harrisites, as it is an easily customizable treat with endless options of brands and toppings. Junior Chiara Chen said,  “If I feel lazy I put the milk in the microwave. But other times I will actually make it [on the stove]. I’ll pour milk into a pot then melt some chocolate in it and add some cocoa powder.”  

Freshman Tristan Lyner also enjoys hot chocolate and said, “I drink [it] usually after being outside in the cold after a sports game or being in the snow.” Amongst various hot chocolate brands and flavors, Tristan still feels like there is more to explore. “I haven’t found my favorite yet,” he said.

Chiara isn’t the only one who enjoys a warm drink during the winter. Junior Eric Choi drinks a cup of  coffee every morning. “It’s the only thing that keeps me awake during school. Without it, I would be able to make it to school.” Eric said the drink is easy to prepare, “I buy this drink in H-mart, and it comes in small packages. You [make] it by putting it in hot water and stirring it.” 

Similarly, Freshman Sophia Cherry also associates sweeter treats with the cold weather. “When thinking of winter, I usually think of sugar cookies, the ones that are like Christmas tree shaped and are really unhealthy.”