Harrisites React to Sabrina Carpenter’s Rise to Fame

Amy Jiang
Students speak about artist Sabrina Carpenter reflecting on her growth and commenting on her new music.

In the ever-changing music industry, one name recently has been making news headlines with her musical journey taking over billboards. From her early days on Disney Channel, to her current status as a chart topping musical sensation, Sabrina Carpenter’s journey to stardom has captivated Harrisites.

Though some students have only recently discovered Carpenter’s talents, many have been following the singer’s career for years, starting with her Disney Channel shows, such as Girl Meets World,  and some of her first songs, including “Thumbs.”

Freshman Caroline Polec said, “I first became familiar with Sabrina Carpenter back in 3rd grade when my friend introduced me to her song, ‘Thumbs.’ I enjoyed the rhythm and the lyrics of the song, it was very catchy and I was obsessed for days. After this, I’ve been a fan of hers ever since, and I’m very excited to continue listening to her newer songs.”

Similarly, sophomore Alina Bhuyan said, “I became familiar with Sabrina Carpenter when she was on Disney Channel’s Girl Meets World. I watched a lot of the shows and movies that she has participated in, and I think her acting skills are very natural and realistic. Since she’s been in the entertainment industry for such a long time, it may be a part of the reason why she’s so successful now as she switches over to the music industry.”

Carpenter’s journey from Disney Channel star to pop sensation has been marked by her dedication and talent. Throughout her long career, Carpenter has released five studio albums, but her most recent album Emails I Can’t Send, was the first to catapult her into the mainstream pop music industry.

Senior Leslie Umanzor reflects on Carpenter’s recent surge in popularity saying, “With tracks like ‘Nonsense’ and ‘Feather’ from Emails I Can’t Send, and the album’s ability to chart high, she’s now more introduced to other people who may have not heard of her before.”

Following the end of her performance as an opening act for Taylor Swift’s tour, Sabrina’s popularity continued to grow with her new single “Espresso” and her performance at Coachella music festival.

Freshman Rio Ishiyama said, “Many people may not have been interested in her style of music until now. Espresso had a big impact on her as true pop music has been declining recently. When Sabrina introduced her spin on classic pop music, a lot of people enjoyed the fresh perspective of lyrical talent.”

Caroline also noted the appeal of Carpenter’s recent single. She said, “Her recent song is really catchy to the point where everyone knows the popular lines in the song. It’s also been trending on social media platforms, such as TikTok, so many new people are being introduced to her music style.”

Junior Aurelia Liu shares her perspective on how social media has pushed Sabrina’s career saying, “I think her popularity has recently skyrocketed because of TikTok. People started using her songs as background audios on TikTok videos which allowed her music to reach a much larger audience.” 

With Sabrina’s slow rise to fame, many wonder if she will maintain her popularity or if this may be the end of the singer’s peak. Leslie shares her confidence in Carpenter’s enduring popularity, as she said, “Her popularity will definitely continue to grow. She has a larger audience now and many new fans, so there’s a lot of people tuned in around the world, waiting for what’s next.”

But, in a world where anyone can upload almost anything they like, some worry that it’s hard for any sense of fame to be maintained as there’s always something new to replace their short-lived spotlight. 

Junior Denise Chan shares her thoughts on the singer’s longevity in the music industry. She said, “I honestly feel like every few years, there’s a new female pop artist on the rise, but I think Sabrina’s unique creativity and performances help her stand out. While performing many of her songs live, she creatively changes the outros for her song “Nonsense” depending on what city she’s in. Because it’s different every time, people attending shows and across social media get excited to see what she comes up with.” 

As Sabrina Carpenter continues to evolve as an artist, her impact on the music industry and the hearts of Harrisites remains undeniable. With her unique style, indisputable talent, and unwavering authenticity, she has solidified her place as a timeless icon in the halls of Townsend Harris High School and across the globe.