Kissena favorites

The Queens College campus separates two distinct worlds of culinary experience. To the west lies the low-cost, multinational cuisine of Main Street, and to the east lies the more traditional hubs of student hunger along Kissena Boulevard: pizzerias, franchises, and cart vendors.

Although Townsend Harris students generally don’t live around the school, they frequently flock to nearby eateries after school.

According to a recent poll of the student population, almost 87% of students prefer to stuff their faces at the Kissena Boulevard eateries over the Main Street offerings.

Gino’s Pizzeria, together with local vendors like the waffle cart and halal stands, represent over 65% of the student body’s preference for after school eats.

Junior Gerald Mariscal, an attendee of many local restaurants, discussed his preferences.

“During the week, I’d often find myself alternating between the local restaurants in the area.” He added, “It’s no strange sight to encounter other THHS students there either, especially at Gino’s, since students almost entirely fuel their business.”

Sophomore Joyee Mok said, “Without the schools, I think they wouldn’t even be here in the first place.”

Senior Andrew Mitchel, a connoisseur of local cuisine both as a Classic food critic and a general foodie, shared Joyee’s sentiment: “If the college wasn’t here, the entire area would be more residential. This would lead to a smaller volume of small businesses throughout.”

Andrew expressed that the student body of THHS, in conjunction with college students, form the consumer base of many of these local restaurants for the majority of the year.

Like their students, THHS faculty also take advantage of the inexpensive local grub.

English teacher Robert Babstock regularly frequents food carts around the area. He said, “I go to Man in the Can almost every day even if I don’t order food.  They rely on students and teachers heavily for a majority of their business, and this leads you to develop friendships with the business owners.”

Among teachers, Tozt and Gino’s rank highest, largely due to the delivery services of both restaurants.

Physical education teacher Raymond Adamkiewicz said, “We mainly eat at Gino’s and Tozt because that’s what’s close. Gino’s would have a difficult time surviving without us.”

The manager of Gino’s, who welcomed our questions after a glance at our THHS sweaters, discussed the business the restaurant receives from the high school.

“We love you guys; you come in after school almost everyday. We deliver to you guys all the time, and you guys have been very good to us for the thirteen years we’ve been here.”

The Queens College business, he said, is greater: “Of course, THHS often orders from us for events, but Queens College overpowers every other contingent, because they’re right here. If I had to place a number between Queens College and the local residents, I’d say about 80-20 is appropriate.”

Wafels & Dinges, a small vendor whose popularity exploded following its arrival,also heavily relies on nearby students.

A staff member at the cart, while adding spekuloos to yet another waffle, said, “We wouldn’t be here without the college.”