Passing the Baton

Outgoing editors Daniel Restifo, Magdalena Grabos, Michelle Gan, Suswana Chowdhury, Asia Acevedo, Fran Horowitz, and Anna St. Clair

WHEN SUSWANA and I were asked to be editors-in-chief, I am certain that we both had grand visions of what we wanted to do- ideas that may have formed when we were freshmen who only wrote the occasional article but still attended every meeting, or juniors inspired by the trend of experimentation that Mr. Sweeney fostered in his first year as advisor.

Our discussions (and arguments) almost always resulted in true progress. In fact, it was our own form of bonding. Intellectual talks, along with redecorating the publication office together, and collectively struggling to adhere to our own Clave-mendments is what made the editors willing to be flexible for each other. By the end of the year, a photo editor working on a news story was not unheard of. We became a family, one I know I’m not seeing the last of.

This year, more people than ever wrote article for The Classic. Our staff wroters made this possible and we can only thank them for their dedication and skill. Of course, this literal expansion of operations would not be possible without the support of our school’s ever-accommodating faculty. In particular, we all thank: Principal Barbetta, who is interviewed constantly and never complains; Mr. Olechowski, who helped fund our new computers and our trip to Harvard; and the teachers, who, without fail, accept our interviews from our writers.

Awards from elite institutions don’t offer us nearly the same validation as the support and interest of the community, and that is what makes The Classic worth it.