New Apple update features gender neutral emojis

As of early November, Apple released the new software update iOS 13.2, which introduced new gender neutral emojis, alongside several other emojis.

Gender-fluid emojis were added to the emoji keyboard as a step towards greater inclusivity. LGBTQ advocates are in favor of this addition and praise the diversity of the new keyboard. The new keyboard also allows users to pick the skin colors and genders of each person, and pair them with activities of their choosing. Additionally, other emojis such as new animals, foods, activities, and symbols have been introduced. In regards to people that use wheelchairs, hearing aids, and mechanical arms or legs, Apple has now included emojis that represent them as well.

Many students have yet to use these new emojis; however those who have up-to-date iOS software, share their opinions. 

Sophomore Kevin Nievecela said, “Apple did a good job because it’s now including several types of communities and people. However, I think the last emoji keyboard was inclusive enough. Nowadays nothing is enough for people. I think it will now be harder to find other emojis.” 

Freshman Alfred Cyriac finds that “the emojis are creative and fun but technically they are not necessary, but if you are given the options to have the new emojis or not I think everyone would pick to have the emojis so I don’t think it is unnecessary” 

Alfred added, “Gender neutral emojis are beneficial as a phone brand since you have to be fair to all of your consumers and because Apple is such a big brand it has great variety and diversity.” Likewise, Senior Angie Delgado said, “It’s nice that [the gender neutral emojis] have both masculine and feminine traits. For some people these emojis are necessary and if they are not necessary for another demographic then they shouldn’t be bothered by the emojis.” 

Furthermore, Junior Matthew McKenna added, “I think new emojis, like animals, places, symbols, etc. can be pretty cool. However, maybe we should remove all of the people emojis, so the user can design the gender-neutral person themselves. The ‘you-design the emoji’ idea, could be more of a benefit for Apple’s inclusivity. Giving particular looks to gender-neutral individuals could be too much. Some may view it as offensive.”