Townsend Trends: Sock it to me this spring

THE MOST stylish among us know that an outfit isn’t complete without the right accessories. From shiny bangles to gauzy scarves, Townsend Harris’s fashion-forward know how to put the finishing touches on an outfit, and these days they are giving “head-to-toe” dressing a whole new meaning.

The sock is this season’s biggest statement piece. An often-overlooked element in any given wardrobe, this seemingly insignificant garment is actually a fantastically fun way to enhance virtually any outfit. Turning this staple into a statement piece adds a hint of personality, no matter how formal or informal the occasion. It is an especially essential accessory during transitional months, as we move ever so slowly from frigid winter temperatures to a slightly chilly early spring.

Paired with boat shoes or oxfords, boots or sneakers, patterned and colored socks are also a great way to draw attention to your most coveted kicks. Polka dots, stripes, and plaid patterns are ultimate classics and can dress up any simple outfit, but can also add a little bit of fun to your laziest Monday (or Tuesday, or Wednesday…) ensemble. They range in material and thickness, from luxurious cashmere to breathable cottons and beyond — your feet will be both pretty and pampered as you stroll to school each morning.

Eccentric patterns and styles have inserted themselves into the zeitgeist, everything from stripes to polka-dots to plaid, providing a colorful contrast to shoes and pants of solid color.

So when you’re walking down the halls to your next class, be sure to take notice of this growing trend — what you see just might knock your socks off.