Boys fencing surprised by Jamaica’s stronger showing

Senior epee captain Jordan Brandwein (on right) lunges at his Jamaica opponent. Photo courtesy of Jordan Brandwein
Senior epee captain Jordan Brandwein (on right) lunges at his Jamaica opponent.
Photo courtesy of Jordan Brandwein

The Townsend Harris boys fencing team kept their undefeated record alive with a close home win against Jamaica High School on Monday, October 21. The foil team won by a score of 45 to 35 and the épée team won by a score of 45 to 42. Senior foil  Daniel Restifo stood out in foil with 18 touches and senior épée captain Jordan Brandwein and junior Evagelos Armatas helped the épée team with 15 and 14 touches respectively.

Evagelos was also one of the seven Townsend Harris fencers to compete in the novice tournament in Long Island City. Evagelos placed third and senior Brian Shtab placed seventh.

The match was more difficult than the team expected it to be. The team has defeated Jamaica before by larger margins, so it was a bit unexpected when the scores turned out to be so close. Despite these challenges, the team still came out victorious.

The foil team got off to a slow start, but as the bouts went on they began to fence better. “Despite what the foil team may say about their performance, I think they fenced well as they adapted to their situation and used what worked for them today instead of sticking with they were used to.” junior Andy Hua said.

Jamaica challenged the épée team, keeping the score close. This didn’t seem to startle the team, who remained relaxed and continued to fence well. “I would definitely call today a group effort.” Daniel said.

The boys fencing team looks to continue this undefeated run on Wednesday, October 23, against Francis Lewis High School in the Townsend Harris gym.